Walnut cake is one of the traditional Greek cakes. You will find many versions of it, depending on the area of Greece you are at. This particular recipe comes from the area of Peloponnese.
It's very easy to make and the result is a tasty cake for you and your family/friends (if you like sharing!).
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1.5 cups sugar
500gr self raining flour
1 cup juice from oranges (DO NOT USE orange juice from cartons, you lazy people!)
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 tsp baking powder
2-3 tsp vanilla extract
1) In a bowl, add the olive oil and sugar and whisk for 5-10 minutes.
2) Add the eggs, one at a time, and continue to whisk.
3) Add one by one the orange juice, the walnuts and, gradually, the flour, whisking constantly.
4) Finally, add the baking powder and the vanilla extract.
5) Slightly oil a baking tin, rub its sides lightly with flour and empty the cake mix.
6) Bake in the oven at 140C for about 50 minutes, or until the cake is properly cooked (you can use a knife to test whether it is cooked throughout).