On a day when the temperature drops below zero, you need a meal that can warm you up and fill you up at the same time. This stew brings memories of cold winter nights, sitting by the fireplace and drinking ale.
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
275gr boned shoulder of lamb, diced
1.5 litres beef stock
3 sticks celery, diced
3 carrots, diced
50gr pearl barley (κριθάρι, όχι το ζυμαρικό), washed
110gr red lentils (κόκκινες φακές), washed
450gr potatoes, peeled and diced
pinch of dried mixed herbs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1) Heat the oil and cook the onion over a moderate heat until golden.
2) Remove the onions and, in the same saucepan, brown the lamb.
3) Stir in the beef stock and Guinness.
4) Return the onions to the pan, and add the celery, carrots, barley and lentils.
5) Partially cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring from time to time.
6) Add the potatoes and herbs, taste for seasoning and simmer for a further 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.